Friday, June 5, 2015




Walker hound Ellie woke me to go outside at 6:00 a.m. and Otis dutifully followed.  He considers it his duty to make sure his sisters have "back up" should they get into any scraps with neighboring dogs.  I heard her take off after who knows what, her characteristic bellow echoing throughout the valley.

I dozed intermittently until I heard Sheila's ATV come down her long driveway on her morning ritual to go feed the neighbor's cats.  Why she is feeding those cats is a topic for a whole different story.  Though the morning fog, I saw big ole Otis waiting at the end of her driveway.  He knows the drill, and our Otis is nothing if not food motivated.  For a long while he would follow her down, and then eat the cat food.

Well, Sheila is a farm girl from North Dakota and not easily deterred.  One morning I was woken by the sound of Otis crying on the front porch.  There are two heavy tables on either side of the door, and Sheila had secured a thick leash and clipped Otis's collar to it.  He was so pathetic I had to laugh.  I brought him in and Sheila and I had a chuckle about it later.

A few weeks later I heard Ellie insistently barking to be let in after having let her out only a short while earlier.  Opening the door, I was greeted by TWO bound hounds, one to each table, neither happy about it.

Now, lying in bed, gathering my thoughts for the day and listening to the bird songs, I smiled as I watched big ole Otis clop down the street after Sheila, heard her stop in my driveway, tie up Otis and continue on her way.  As it was about time to get my day moving anyway, I rescued him promptly, his face lighting up when he saw me and he danced beside me as we went to get coffee.

I don't take these simple pleasures for granted, for they are the things that make a life: quiet, small, joyful moments easily missed if we fail to pay attention.  The kindness of a neighbor in dealing with my wayward dogs, the loyalty of a canine friend, and good coffee on a Blue Ridge mountain morning.  

Have an Above the Rest day.....




4 comments:

  1. Perfect way to look at LIFE...hugs to you, hugs to the doggies, hugs to David, hugs to the horsies...HUGS PERIOD!

    ReplyDelete