Saturday, June 6, 2015




Abbie Rose had to spend a second night at the vet's, but came home today.  This is her FOURTH cast, and Dr. Arnall has exposed her foot again - very important to get her bearing some weight on the bones, which should stimulate blood flow, callous formation and healing.  While she did not get the Auburn themed "tattoo" that Dr. Balyou put on the pink cast, Dr. Arnall did scour the vet wrap to find Tennessee orange, which we appreciate.  :)

I got to visit with her yesterday and get an update and she was over the moon when she was brought into the exam room today.  Dr. A was laughing at the change in her demeanor; he'd go in to visit and pet her and she'd be all "meh", but in the room with me, she was bouncing off the walls.  They fell for her sympathy eyes and didn't put the "inflatable collar of shame" on her last night and she chewed on her cast, but nothing that couldn't be repaired.

The best news of all?  If we can keep the cast on for a minimum of 2 more weeks (4 ideally), then we should be home free and good to go.  I am deeply grateful for "gut feelings" and the decision *not* to amputate.  It just didn't feel right.



Before it became too hot today, I transplanted 18 peppers to pots.  They were turning yellow and dropping their leaves and after consulting my gardening mentor, Deborah McCarthy of McCarthy Farms, and doing some research, and finding no evidence of pests, I'm going with a soil/temperature issue.  Using high quality potting soil mixed with a few handfuls of Perlite, placing them in the warmest spot in the garden, watering without hitting the leaves, and spreading them out so any potential pests do not hit the whole crop, I am hopeful that we'll actually see fruit from these babies!  I have one that has a small pepper on it, but if I can't get them to perk up, it's not looking good.  I may have to resort to making a black screen to go over them to get them hotter.  They are, after all, tropical and it has been cool at night.  What I lack in experience I make up for in tenacity, research and determination.  Now, to find a place to put the 30 new tomato plants....



The rest of the garden is coming along beautifully.  It is where I start and end each day.  Working in the earth, tending to the plants, the mares grazing placidly in the background, centers and calms me.

From a business perspective, it was one of the longest weeks of my life.  I cleaned 3 small, 1 medium and 1 huge cabin this week.  I earned a good wage doing so, but more important, I was proud of the product I produced.  Yes, the back of house operations suffered because we are unable to find more cleaning contractors who have 'pride of place'.  There are no demeaning jobs.  I, certainly, am not too good to do anything, including extracting one of the largest, nastiest hairballs I've ever seen from a bathroom drain.  The only demeaning thing, to my mind, is not giving whatever you do your all.  I could happily clean cabins all day long and be wholly satisfied, because this week, I knew the guests at those cabins were going to get the best possible experience.  I didn't have to worry, check behind, etc.  And so, until we find someone who is in it for more than payday, Donna, Shawn and I will have to keep things running and I will squeeze the remainder of my duties in the cracks.

With the adjustment to this new schedule, it's not surprising that today I just deflated.  Last night I was still riding the adrenaline "have to get this done" high and managed to weed whack the yard and garden, mow the yard, paddocks and interior fence lines of the yard/pasture interface.  Janie and Joe stopped by and met Birdette and Fiona (yes, new bird finally told me her name....) and oohed and ahhed over the aviary, water garden and vegetable/flower gardens.  It was great to see them.

I spent time loving on Kachina and Faith Elizabeth, and had hopes of riding today, but, as mentioned, the balloon just popped.  David came over after dealing with mountain emergencies and I slept while he watched TV.  We're quite the exciting couple.  ;)

Tomorrow is a new day, with many departures, laundry to be started, cabins to be checked/secured, and the cycle begins anew.

I miss yoga.  However, as I sat on the hammock sideways the other evening, watching the tree swallows relentlessly working to feed their young, never stopping even though they must be exhausted, nature reminded me that being an adult means you do what needs to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the personal sacrifice.  If those parents stop, their babies die.  My business is my baby.   The show must go on...  

No comments:

Post a Comment