Thursday, June 4, 2015



For those who've been following the saga of Abbie Rose and her broken radius and ulna, she is back in the hospital tonight for a "rest" from the cast, and a new cast application tomorrow.  She managed to get out and had a good romp in the woods, which caused the cast to slip down; the vet wants her foot exposed so she'll bear some weight during the healing process.   The fourth time's a charm, right?

Life on the mountain has been a bit stressful this week as I've had to take on cabin cleaning duties. Unfortunately the labor force in Blue Ridge is very limited in terms of motivated, diligent workers, especially in the cabin cleaning business.   Our standards are high, it's true, but clean is clean and anything less is...well...not doing the job!  Personally, I love cleaning cabins.  It gives me great pride to prepare a home knowing that the guests will be satisfied and that every detail has been attended to.  Unfortunately, I have a full-time job already!  A huge shout out to Shawn, in particular, and Donna for their hard work this week. Shawn did the equivalent of a 'cleaning marathon' and we're uber grateful for/to him.

We're growing our first garden at Above the Rest - East (the 'farm' - and the office from which I primarily work.)  It is GORGEOUS.  We have 7 varieties of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, melons, peppers (hot, green bell, chocolate bell, sweet banana, red bell), two varieties of dill, sage, chives, scallions, asparagus, several varieties of basil, four varities of blueberries and two varieties of French beans!  We'll be selling farm-fresh tomatoes at the main office when they are ready!  A huge thank you to MacCarthy Farms for providing many of the plants.  It took me a while to get the hang of growing from seed, but my tomato restarts are doing just great! It is deeply satisfying to start and end every day in the garden.  Oh, and we have many varieties of sunflowers and zinnias as well!

The horses are doing great, although they've not gotten much attention this week.  I fear Faith Elizabeth is mad at me, as every time I call her name she walks the other direction.  I believe an offering of peppermints is in order tonight, mostly because I miss her and I need some equine love.

Many of you have figured out that I've shut down my personal Facebook page; it was too much in the way of time spent that is best spent otherwise, and the stream of cruelty to animal pics and other horrid posts just took its toll.  This job is hard enough without that coming into my life.  Feel free to interact with me here!  I'll endeavor to post at least once a day.

For now, there is paperwork calling, and an early to bed night as I have one more large home to clean tomorrow in addition to catching up on my *real* job.  :)

Wishing everyone well...

No comments:

Post a Comment